Re: [Minios-devel] [Unikraft] Support for KVM on ARM

On 09.04.2018 11:41, Ajay Garg wrote:
Hi Julien,

Thanks for the continued support.

Unikernels could potentially run on baremetal. Are you looking at multiple
unikernels on the same platform? If it is only one, the virtualization is
probably not the right solution.

The idea of this study is to understand and compare between unikernels
and containers in an embedded platform.

What exactly do you want to compare? If it is performance, then you want to
get as close as what people would run. Assuming you platform to run multiple
unikernels, then likely you want to get a platform with virtualization
because this is what most of end user will use.

As you are already aware that we have been investigating quite a bit
for different options, and given the current state, would be happy if
we are able to achieve the following :

a)
Running one unikernel on arm32 in baremetal mode, without an underlying OS.

b)
Running multiple unikernels on arm64 with xen-hypervisor.

So, given the current state, how would you suggest we proceed?

Right now, you can test Unikraft with Xen on arm32. Be aware that there is a open bug on the memory allocator for arm (see:https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:Unikraft_Users). arm64 with Xen is currently not supported but we working on it. Same for KVM and baremetal.

We use cubieboard2/3 for arm32 tests. These boards are even officially supported by Debian and can run Xen.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

Thanks,

Simon