Re: The difference between Unikraft and MiniOS.

Hi Jason,

thanks a lot for your question. Both projects are Unikernels, where Mini-OS is the older project. Its original purpose was to demonstrate the Xen hypervisor interface. As far as I know, it is used today in some Xen deployments as basis for stub domains (e.g., QEMU) and running the XenStore separately from Dom0. Main obvious difference to Unikraft is that MiniOS works just with Xen.

With Unikraft we try to provide a framework for building specialized Unikernels across different platforms, where Xen or KVM are just two of them. The project is younger and we are working heavily to develop a library pool where you basically pick and choose OS functionality that you need for your Unikernel.

I hope I could answer your question. Let us know if you have more.

Thanks,

Simon