tuntap apparently misbehaving on osx

  • To: Mirage List <cl-mirage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 23:57:12 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB

i'm porting the dns perf suite over to the new regress/ setup.  with the
unix-socket build, i don't seem to be able to contact it at all - and netstat
doesn't show anything listening on 53/UDP as i'd expect.  with unix-direct then
i see the usual startup but then start seeing many failed writes:

: mort@greyjay:net$; sudo _build/unix-direct/deens.bin
Password:
Main: startup
[00000] 2011/08/17T22:06:39Z  info                Deens: starting server, port
53
Manager: create
opendev: /dev/tap0
Netif: plug tap0
Manager: plug tap0
Manager: plug done, to listener
Manager: init done
Devices: starting provider Unix.Blkif
Main: entering runloop
ARP: who-has 10.0.0.1?
IPv4: dropping proto 2
IPv4: dropping proto 2
IPv4: dropping proto 2
ARP: transmitting probe -> 10.0.0.1
EXN: Failure("tap: partial write")
ARP: updating 10.0.0.1 -> 1e:81:8c:9d:18:0c
EXN: Failure("tap: partial write")
EXN: Failure("tap: partial write")

via "tcpdump -i tap0", pinging 10.0.0.1 from a terminal gets me nothing;
pinging 10.0.0.255 shows echo requests from 10.0.0.1 -> 10.0.0.255, and

similar behaviour if i build the tutorial slideset with unix-direct, although
with unix-socket it works just fine.

so- is this a broken setup on my part, or something that's become broken due to
eg., new device model?  (or am i just missing something really obvious?!)

--
Cheers,

R.

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.