Re: micro second timestamps from a regression test progrsm

On 16 Nov 2011, at 12:09, Haris Rotsos wrote:

> I found something at OS.Clock.time() (unit -> float). This I think
> binds back to the libc gettimeofday.

On the UNIX side, a good general piece of advice for accurate time-keeping is
to use clock_gettime() and name a high-accuracy clock. You can also use
clock_getres() to ask questions about the resolution of the timestamps you get
back. On FreeBSD, at least, you can request accurate vs. fast using different
clock names. Finally, asking for the time of day is not quite the same as
asking for elapsed time, so you might or might not be interested in asking for
a monotonic time source instead of a time-of-day time source, depending on your
goals and how NTP feels.

Robert