Re: requests for clarification

On 21 Dec 2011, at 23:28, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

>> What is the status of/plans for the orm stuff?
>> (https://github.com/mirage/orm - seems to be outside the current
>> 'release' and tutorial scope) (plan A for learning mirage was to try
>> making a web application or two)
>
> The ORM was a bit of an early experiment. It certainly works, but the
> semantics of deletion are rather tricky. It's going to be a few months
> before it can be hooked back in. However, the easiest way to build a small
> web app is to compile in the data into the binary directly.

imo it might ultimately be nice to try having a near-identical interface
between network and storage - kinda like sockets vs fds but type-safe.  i guess
in such a case the orm would become more of a dynamically reconfigurable
un/marshalling stub generator service (cf.
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.41.7410> from nemesis
days) operating on some appropriate reader/writer interfaces.  perhaps with
barriers to stop frp frobbing stuff on disk - an interesting concept for the
immutable datastore perhaps?

--
Cheers,

R.

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.