Re: dns/crypto-keys/opam

On 16 Jul 2012, at 16:42, Haris Rotsos wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 01:59:38PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> This one's mainly for Mort and Haris.  I'm working my way through all the
>> libraries required to compile Signposts, and put stable versions up on OPAM.
>>
>> I've taken all the forks of ocaml-dns and merged them (with the latest
>> version using cstruct) into http://github.com/mirage/ocaml-dns.   Mort,
>> there seem to be a lot of commented out conversion functions in the
>> interfaces (packet.mli).  Are these temporary or do you plan on putting them
>> back at some point?
>>
>> Haris, I've also adapted crypto-keys to
>> http://github.com/mirage/ocaml-crypto-keys so it works with this DNS repo.
>> A query about licensing and tidy-up before release: it is currently GPL-2.0,
>> which doesnt work for OCaml due to the static linking. Could you modify it
>> to ISC and add your copyright to each file as with other code, so that it's
>> suitable for release?
>
> Are the other libraries also using the ISC copyright? No problem
> to change the licence, I only need the small text we put on the top of
> each source file.

Yeah, that's the default I use as it has the smallest amount of text
that obscures the real code :-)  Below is a sample bit of text from some
other code (you just add on copyrights as you edit it)

(*
 * Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
 * Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
 * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
 * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
 * WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
 * ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
 * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
 * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
 * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
 *)

Also update the _oasis file with 'License: ISC'.

>> There are also generally a few build warnings, so it would be good to go
>> through the code and make sure its suitable for release (e.g. there is a
>> hardcoded IP address in the default DNSSEC lookup in ocaml-crypto-keys).
>>

> the hardcoded ip is for the google dns servers. When fetching a dns key
> the user is allowed to specify the ip address of the dns server, but in
> case he doesn't define one, the library will check on the google dns
> server by default. do you think i should change these semantics for the
> API?
>
> will take a quick look on the compilation error for the rest.

Oh that's fine for now; could you put in a comment to that effect in the
interface, so that it's obvious?

> By the way, I am not sure and need to check, but I think that the
> library had a requirement for openssl 1.*.*. I think I used some calls
> wich are not available in version 0.9. Is this version requirement able
> to be expressed in OPAM build process?

I noticed this, since on MacOS X, you get 100000 'deprecation' warnings.
You should be able to do this on OASIS but I have no idea how... might be
worth checking Lwt or some other library that does these checks.

Lets use the mirage/* repos as the masters, as this is where the OPAM repo
is pointed at.  I'm not sure if you can send a pull request upstream (since
I forked the Mirage one from yours).  Can you try to see if this works?