Re: about "hello mirage world"

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 03:19:26PM +0200, PALI Gabor Janos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 02:41:01PM +0100, Yiming Zhang wrote:
> > First, it is required to "have mir-xen in your PATH", but where mir-xen is?
> > And second, the first step is to "cd mirage.git/regress", but where
> > mirage.git is?
>
> I think it is because the documentation has not been updated.  There was a
> major reorganization for the Mirage sources: mirage.git has been split into
> multiple smaller repositories that now you can find under mirage.github.com
> (and install via using OPAM).
>
> The old mirage.git repository lives at Anil's github's profile, that is where
> you could find the referenced files:
>
> http://github.com/avsm/mirage.git
>
> However, I do not know whether it would make any sense to use them any more.

Yes indeed. We're currently breaking up Mirage into a series of smaller
libraries that are easier to integrate as libraries (both for microkernel
use, and for general programming under UNIX).

So the answer to your question really depends on what you're trying to do
with Mirage.  If you want to play with microkernels and Xen and
experiment, then monolithic repository that Gabor points out in:
http://github.com/avsm/mirage.git

...works perfectly fine, and the documentation at:
http://tutorial.openmirage.org/#1
should mostly be correct.

All new development is happening in the broken up repositories, and we're
aiming for a soft launch just before XenSummit in a couple of weeks.
http://xen.org/xensummit/xs12na_talks/xensummit.html

I'm afraid the broken-up new system will be somewhat subject to change
before then. Thomas is finishing up a major rev to OPAM which will improve
its stability with the 0.4 release, but there will likely be some
short-term fallout as a result.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org