Pack considered harmful (was: Fwd: Cross-module inlining fails)

You'll be amused to hear that one of the reasons for the performance
drop after moving to OPAM is because of a small bug in OASIS.

When you use packed modules, the .cmx file of the packed result is
not installed.  This has the knock on effect of disabling cross-module
inlining, and leading to several core Mirage libraries (such as the
OS and Net modules) not being inlined.

The fix is pretty easy (install the cmx!), so I'll make the appropriate
modifications shortly.  Life was so much easier in the monolithic
tree :-)

-anil

Begin forwarded message: