Re: synching with minios

On 11 Dec 2012, at 13:06, PALI Gabor Janos <pgj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:58:07PM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> I'm deferring this one until we start upstreaming the kFreeBSD backend as it
>> looks like we'll need a robust cross-compilation toolchain for both GCC and
>> OCaml.
>
> By the way, FreeBSD is aiming to use Clang/LLVM as system compiler in the
> future.  Should not we rely on clang instead?  (I have not tried to compile
> my code with clang, but we should definitely think about this.)

I've had MiniOS compiling with Clang/LTO before (but the result failed to
boot!).  I definitely want to maintain compatibility with both GCC and LLVM for
the moment, and there shouldn't be any particular reason why both shouldn't
work.

It'll get much more interesting when we can get LTO working across C *and*
OCaml object files, as then the entire operating system image can be
cross-module optimised (including to the MiniOS "syscalls").  That'll be an
interesting benchmark to run with some of our more elaborate macrobenchmarks...