Re: tun/tap issue

cc'ing the cl-mirage mailing list, in case anyone there has anything to
add/suggest.

(i'm not sure whether udita is on the list, so please keep her cc'd. if someone
could add her to the list, that'd be great.)

for the list-- udita is an intern from IIIT who's helping me with some
homework/openflow/mirage related things. her current task is to try to pin down
the effects and then the cause of the bug that i believed i was seeing trying
to use mirage networking on linux. (i mailed about this problem previously.)

On 8 May 2013, at 16:57, Udita Gangwal wrote:

> Could you tell me what problem were you exactly facing with the ocaml-tuntap
> in Linux? You said that the packets were somehow getting  lost somewhere.
> Could you please let me know the exact scenario?

when i compiled and built mirage-www on linux using 4.00.1+mirage-unix (and
3.12.1+mirage-unix-direct), i find that i can run the resulting binary,
everything appears to work, i can ping the address it claims using the tuntap
code (10.0.0.2) but when i try to "telnet 10.0.0.2 80" to connect to the web
server that should be running, it doesn't connect. when i ran tcpdumps on all
the interfaces, it appeared that, although the route table entry should have
been sending all traffic directed to 10.0.0.0/24 to the tap0 interface, in fact
the tcpdumps showed the TCP SYN packets were being sent to the lo (loopback)
interface.

all of this worked fine for me on OSX, hence my hypothesis was that this was
due to some bug in how the tuntap and/or netfilter apis were being used. iirc
ping is handled on a different path in the kernel, hence was working ok.

vincent has since extracted the tuntap functionality from mirage-net into its
own library, ocaml-tuntap. the suggestion was to try writing a couple of simple
test apps, perhaps one using ping and one that just runs a simple tcp server of
some kind that you can try to connect to (make it an echo server if you're
feeling fancy :)  if both of those "Just Work" for you on linux, then it would
seem that this is my problem alone. if either doesn't work, then we can start
to track down the bug. either way, having a couple of simple examples for
ocaml-tuntap will be useful :)

anil, vincent -- anything to add?

--
Cheers,

R.

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.