Re: Current state of the UNIX backend

On 27/05/2013 12:30, Vincent B. wrote:
On 26/05/2013 10:51, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
So a much easier way to debug this sort of issue is to build a unit
test that expresses the desired behaviour first.  I put a small packet
dumper for tuntap in:

https://github.com/avsm/ocaml-tuntap/blob/master/test/nonblock_read.ml

You can build this without any other dependencies by:

$ make
$ ocamlbuild _build/test/nonblock_read.native
$ sudo ./_build/test/nonblock_read.native

The second command does not work for me, I’m going to try anyway.
Note that in your test you always use opentun instead of opentap,
normally this would create a level3 interface instead of a lever2 one.

The command was
$ ocamlbuild test/nonblock_read.native

of course. Apart from that,

and if you ping the new interface, you should see hexdump packets on
the console.  I do see these on both MacOS X and Linux successfully.
If Mort does too, I'll be convinced it actually works :-)

I don't see anything in the console, strangely.

And now the question is why the Mirage libraries are different.  I'm
guessing it's to do with setting the non-blocking flag, which is done
via a stub at the moment.  If you make the behaviour of Ethif match
that of my test case, then it should spot the problem.

PS: I also noticed that the netmask on the tap0 when you ifconfig is
"0xff000000", which isn't the same as the "0xffffff00" I was trying to
set it to.  It didn't matter for this test, but should be fixed too or
else risk network routing heisenbugs...

Strangely again, for me the mask is set correctly (Linux):

5: tap0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 500 link/none

inet 10.11.12.1/24 scope global tap0

I can ping it correctly, but I don't see anything in the console.

Cheers,

Vincent