Re: mirage support for dynamically loaded modules

Ah, I see.  One first step here might be to add support for HVM booting of normal guests.  The HVM mode is very similar to PV boot, except:

- you need to configure a hardware timer
- the boot process goes through normal 16-bit bootstrap instead of direct PV boot
- page table manipulation is direct instead of via hypercalls.
- you can interact with emulated device drivers for block/net.

The last point is most important -- it would be easiest to get the scaffolding for device drivers working by being able to evaluate the rest of the system against the PV equivalents.

Another way to go is to investigate Snowflock's hardware device drivers that were written in OCaml: https://github.com/jessicah/snowflake-svn/tree/master/kernel (the license should be clarified with the author first, however, as I didn't spot any LICENSE files in there).

There's another approach which doesn't involve Xen at all -- have you considered taking one of the Raspberry Pi ARM mini operating systems and porting the Mirage libraries to it?  They compile in ARM fine, and it should be possible to adapt Dave's VNC library to rasterise onto HDMI. The advantage of this is that there's a fairly small hardware HDL to port, vs the incredible number of x86 drivers that would need to be supported.  (this isn't relevant if you have a specific x86 hardware set to support, but in general there's no easy way out of x86 support except for re-using kernel drivers in interesting ways).

Finally, you should also check out rump kernels: it should be easy to re-use portions of the NetBSD rump infrastructure to interface with Mirage management -- http://www.netbsd.org/docs/rump/.

cheers
Anil