Re: mutable store on mirage?

Hi,

> b) 've had a look at irminsule, but
> b.1) at the moment i don't actually get how you would use it in this kind of
> scenario, e.g. does my user defined key (e.g. user login) map to a tag and a
> value (e.g. their current profile information) to a value? or does the whole
> current key/value state (i.e. user ID/value for all current users) map to a
> single value and the 'current state' to a single tag? or something else??
> b.2) is there currently a mirage (non-unix) backend for it?

I'm working to make irminsule more usable at the moment, and I plan to make a
first release for the end of the month. But yes, you are right, for now that's
just a proof of concept, so I won't use it in production (yet).

> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-www/pull/38
>
> e) the mirage-unix OS has a skeleton blkif (over file) implementation but
> this is currently unimplemented; is it worth implementing and using this for
> posix or do we expect to use something like dave's ocaml xen-block-driver and
> xen-disk to emulate block devices from files instead even on posix targets?
>
> I'd like to see unix blkif implemented (without using the xen
> implementation). I've got some patches lying around which open files with
> O_DIRECT and perform unbuffered sector-aligned I/O. I was thinking of making
> a 'unix-block-driver' with this code in it, mirroring the xen implementation.
> It's mostly a thin veneer over Lwt_bytes, replacing Bigarray.t with
> Cstruct.t. In future I was thinking the mirage-platform repo could become the
> minimal 'boot' code plus module types for Blkif, Netif etc; and all the
> concrete implementations could be spun out into other repos.
>
> What do people think?

I think that will be *very* useful.

Then, using this to build a simple (but efficient) append-only k/v store
(string -> Cstruct.t) with an interface which looks similar on linux and xen
would be great!

Thomas