Re: Xen Project to Sponsor one student for Gnome Womens Outreach winter round (Urgent)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 04:24:00PM +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got confirmation that this is still OK. So we will have one
> student to work on a Xen project that the Advisory Boards will fund.

Yeeey!

> I created
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Round7
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/OPWApply
>
> I copied the GSoC list and prospective mentors are:
> * Konrad
> * George
> * Anil
> * Ian Campvell
> * Ian Jackson
> * Roger
> * Dario
> * Anthony
>
> If your name is listed above:
> * review the projects in
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Round7 and
> REMOVE those that are done already

Done.
> * REMOVE your projects fvrom the list if you are NOT willing to mentor

Is there a deadline for this list to become golden?

Also, we can insert projects under the http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWIntro
as a "Linux and Xen" if there is a project that would be more of
"in the Linux land" type. Are folks OK with that? We only have one
intern slot.

Right now the one that I can think of that would fit within this is:

-  "VCPUOP_register_vcpu_time_memory_area" - backport and fix it, make
   sure that glibc works, run benchamrks, etc. That would also entail some
   looking at rdstc, gettimeofday calls and all of that to figure out
   where/what holes there are with Linux PV and HVM guests in this area.

-  Implement the 'multi-MSI' hypercall in the Linux kernel. Jan posted
   an RFC patch.

 - Implement proper PAT "sandbox". hpa wants a software translation lookup
   table - similar to how guests MTRR values are looked up in the Xen.

I can mentor them all - though I would appreciate some backup (Boris?)

Yes/No?

Lars, Thank you for taking this up while I was out!