Re: [MirageOS-devel] Including a C Library in a Mirage Xen Kernel

On Dec 17, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1I'm CCing Adam Wick on this too, since he also has a libm extracted from
> OpenBSD.  Sharing this sort of code between HalVM/Mirage will make longer
> term maintenance a lot easier, so I'm happy to adopt something if it can
> be easily split out of the HalVM tree.

They’re a lot easier to pull out in the HaLVM 2.0 work, as they’re basically in
their own subtrees. Unfortunately, libc and libm are in two different
repositories for, um, not-great-yet-annoyingly-important reasons:

https://github.com/GaloisInc/HaLVM/tree/master/src/libm   [src/libm from the
HaLVM tree]
https://github.com/GaloisInc/halvm-ghc/tree/halvm/rts/minlibc   [rts/minlibc
from the halvm branch of halvm-ghc]

The libc stuff is fairly recent, but definitely not optimized. The libm work is
circa ~2007. I think it specializes for x86_32. I’ve been meaning to go back
and add more optimal implementations for x86_64 and ARM, but haven’t gotten to
it yet. This is definitely something we could share and help each other out
with, though. Combining the two may also bear fruit in interesting ways.

If I pulled the libc and libm code from the HaLVM out and made a “minlib” git
tree, would that be something you’d be willing to start using? I haven’t pulled
it out yet because I wasn’t sure there’d be payoff against the added git
submodule pain, but if there’s a clear user I’ll make it happen.

- Adam