Re: [MirageOS-devel] Testing for the Xen Project

On 8 Apr 2014, at 17:51, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anil Madhavapeddy writes ("Re: [MirageOS-devel] Testing for the Xen Project"):
>> Ian (Jackson), any input on this thread?  We're preparing the intern
>> projects for GSoC and OPW, and it would be useful to know if there's any
>> practical testing facilities on the horizon, or if we should roll our own.
>
> Hi.
>
> We have the existing test system osstest which could host the kind of
> tests you're talking about.  Work is ongoing to move our testing to
> community infrastructure, but that's orthogonal to improvements to our
> test coverage and test case set.

osstest looks perfect for what we need, especially if it could be
run regularly against released versions of Xen as well as xen-unstable.

> osstest already (obviously) knows how to set up a working Xen
> installation, based on the xen.git bits.
>
> I'd be happy to have some mirage-base tests to add to our system.  I
> guess that would probably involve osstest building the mirage test vms
> and running them in the xen setups it already knows how to build ?

Building them from scratch is probably best.  This just needs any version
of OCaml from 3.12.1 onwards, and we can provide a script that installs
the OPAM source manager, builds the kernel in question, and cleans itself
up (no root needed).

The best candidate to kick this off is probably the new OXenstored that
Dave Scott is working on, which adds support for a Git backend and will
probably have a few regressions due to rewritten transaction logic.
He's currently on the road, so some delay expected in reply.

> Alternatively we could provide osstest with some prepared images.
>
> And someone would have to write the test scripts of course - but we
> can help with that.
>
> The source code for osstest is here:
>  http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=osstest.git;a=summary

cheers! I'll see if I can find a spare test machine in the Computer Lab
to set this up on too.   Thomas Leonard (CCed) has also just started
work on the Mirage/Xen/ARM backend, so it would be useful to have that
in the rotation eventually as well.