Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage ARM port

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 04:39:49PM +0100, Andy Ray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been discussing the ARM port of Mirage with Anil recently and
> would like to get involved helping to bring that up.
>
> Initially it would be to target a Raspberry Pi (finally something I
> can use it for!) but eventually I'm interested in getting it running
> on an Altera Cyclone V Soc with dual-core ARM Cortex-A9s.
>
> I understand there are 2 approaches - using a FreeBSD kernel module or
> building up from scratch with a mini OS and implementing some device
> drivers.  I'm easy either way.
>
> I've never used a BSD but I have hacked a realtime linux OS onto an
> ARM Soc before so I know there be dragons ahead...
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

A while back I started writing an exokernel to run ocaml barebone on
the Raspberry Pi. I have ocaml running and multi-threading 95% done.
For my approach I mapped interrupts to signals so I can use an
unmodified ocamlopt for RPi to generate a binary blob and link that
with the exo kernel (just a few files to initialize the hardware and
glue to ocaml).

I would be verry interested in porting mirage. But mirage needs Xen
and the Raspberry Pi can't run Xen. So quite a bit of driver glue will
be needed. That's why I started with just plain ocaml.

I'm going to hold a talk about ocaml barebone on the RPi end of next
week so I have till then finish and release something. I will post the
url when I do.

MfG
        Goswin