Re: [MirageOS-devel] [mirage-platform] Switched to dietlibc's generic libm (4abf42d)

On 7 May 2014, at 15:12, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7 May 2014 14:54, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

Picking a "better libc and libm" is something we should figure out on the list. There are a few new contenders since the initial import of dietlibc...

That would be good. I've been hacking around trying to get a feel for what needs to be done first.
Replacing dietlibc is first on my list of things that need doing (even if only replacing it with the latest version). I'm guessing the current version was imported from a modified CVS snapshot (and doesn't include ARM support). So my plan was to do a clean import of 0.33 and try to get Mirage working on x86_64 with that first.

Yes, it came from a CVS snapshot after finding a ton of bugs in the last released version then.  The libm came from OpenBSD.

Then the Xen headers should be updated to include ARM support. It would be good to do a clean import first and then apply the Mirage modifications as a separate commit, to make future updates easier.

Yep.

libm needs replacing with something that supports ARM. The compiler seemed to be generating function calls for exp, log, etc, rather than using the chip's floating point instructions, so that will need looking at.

Would this be to do with the VFPE choice (not finding vfpe3)?  Not a huge concern in the short term as we don't depend on fast FP anyway.

However, work has come to a standstill here as my new laptop has arrived...

By the way, what's the best way to install mirage-platform from a local Git checkout so that opam can see it?

Just confirming what Mort said:

$ git clone <repo>
$ opam pin mirage-xen <repo>

Then "opam update -u" will rebuild from your local repo.