Re: [MirageOS-devel] Monitoring MirageOS guests on CubieBoard2

On 14 May 2014, at 17:41, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14 May 2014, at 17:21, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> What I was using to test was the vchan client from the xen repository.
>>> I'll have another look at it tomorrow if you like?
>>
>> Ah yes, I keep forgetting about those binaries from the Xen repo -- are they
>> installed by distros these days? (so we have a netcat-like vchan client).
>
> Good question. I need to take a look at vchan again, to see if it makes sense
> to plumb a vchan link through to guests from the dom0 toolstack for off-box
> cloud orchestration layers to talk to their service VMs without using ssh.
> Perhaps little Mirage HTTP <-> vchan service would work nicely.

That would certainly cure the 'RPC through xenstore' malaise that afflicts
everyone who has this problem.

More broadly, making vchan available with a convenient netcat-command-line
interface would generally make interfacing with guests much more pleasant.

I notice that Arjun Guha has just started an OCaml Docker binding which will
give us the same benefits using LXC, so making these interfaces similar for Xen
would be very handy.
https://github.com/arjunguha/ocaml-docker