Re: [MirageOS-devel] outgoing tcp connections

On 18 Jun 2014, at 13:45, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/18/2014 12:01, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> Mindy submitted a fix to the 'DHCP happening too late' bug in the
>> TCP/IP stack, which only affected unikernels that were making
>> outgoing connections rather than listening.
>
> I saw that. Great work! And I just tested it, and it works here.
>
> Another (related) issue is when using tap and no dhcp, I've to be fast
> between executing the client and assigning a IP address in the
> hostsystem for tap0 (whenever an application is started, the host
> system IP gets removed) in order to reply to ARP to the mirage stack.

Hrm yes, doing bridge setup is something I'm not keen on putting
into our tools.  Ideally, we would use persistent tunnels that could
be set up by external tools and then attached to by the Unix unikernel.

Does the FreeBSD tuntap support persistent tun devices?

The MacOS X tuntap is the only reason we're stuck with this current
painful model.  However, there is a light on this horizon, as I
discovered that MacOS X 10.10-beta has the vmnet framework installed
by default, which finally gives us bridging support there without needing
the installing of OSXtuntap.  I'll write bindings when I get a chance...

-a