Re: [MirageOS-devel] mirage-entropy

On 4 Jul 2014, at 10:31, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...This also means that when you are developing a new library which use an
> already functorised library, that new library also needs to be functorized
> over (at least) the same signatures. So if you are very far in the functor
> chain, the number of parametrised signature you should depend on might grow
> quite large. See [1] for instance ... but at least you fully track the
> dependencies and it is easier to switch, inside the langage instead of
> passing flags to the linker (as B. Pierce explained nicely in the slides that
> Daniel sent).
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-tcpip/blob/master/lib/tcpip_stack_direct.mli#L24

ok, understood. yes, those slides were interesting/useful.

> ...I should have written .lwt_unix (instead of .unix). Yup, in cohttp we have
> a an other .async sub-package which instantiate the core functor with Async.
> The downside of that approach is the number of sub-packages might grow
> exponentially if we really want to have all of them -- so having partially
> instantiated functors for lwt-unix/async/xen makes usually is enough.

ok cool. i wonder in practice how big the N feeding into that exponential will
ever really be. also, just to be clear, the .xen package is always really
.lwt_xen and will always be so (or is there prospect of xen using async?)

>>> Hope it helps clarifying things a little bit,
>>
>> yes actually :)  this would make a useful blog post i think... (and perhaps
>> content for a full-monty journal paper about mirage.)
>
> I really need to write the Irmin blog post first but yea, why not ...

ofc-- irmin first :)  this is more for background interest i guess...

--
Cheers,

R.