Re: [MirageOS-devel] libminios/openlibm support ready for testing

On 2 Jul 2014, at 17:03, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/pull/93
>
> This pull request removes dietlibc, libm and most of the header files
> from mirage-platform, replacing them with external dependencies on
> Mini-OS and openlibm.
>
> These changes do not themselves add support for ARM, but they do make
> it very easy to add, since the new Mini-OS and openlibm both support
> ARM, unlike the old code.
>
> There is no replacement libc. It turned out that the only thing we
> needed was support for formatting floating point values. I took the
> code for that from musl (the FreeBSD code was large and difficult to
> separate out).
>
> To test:
>
> 1. Download and install libminios from
> https://github.com/talex5/xen/releases/tag/minios-v0.1
> 2. Download and install openlibm from
> https://github.com/talex5/openlibm/releases/tag/v0.3.1-tal1

A minor inconsistency I notice here:

libminios installs into /usr/lib by default (following the Xen convention), and
openlibm installs into /usr/local/lib by default.  It would actually be really
convenient to install these into the ~/.opam space via an OPAM package, rather
than an external installation.

Any thoughts on that?  I imagine one difficulty is ensuring that pkg-config can
still pick up the installed packages in the ~/.opam namespace.

I'm still testing the rest of the patch on x86_64 (hopefully this afternoon).