Re: [MirageOS-devel] libminios/openlibm support ready for testing

On 4 July 2014 13:03, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2014, at 12:58, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jul 2014, at 17:03, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform/pull/93
>>>
>>> This pull request removes dietlibc, libm and most of the header files
>>> from mirage-platform, replacing them with external dependencies on
>>> Mini-OS and openlibm.
>>>
>>> These changes do not themselves add support for ARM, but they do make
>>> it very easy to add, since the new Mini-OS and openlibm both support
>>> ARM, unlike the old code.
>>>
>>> There is no replacement libc. It turned out that the only thing we
>>> needed was support for formatting floating point values. I took the
>>> code for that from musl (the FreeBSD code was large and difficult to
>>> separate out).
>>>
>>> To test:
>>>
>>> 1. Download and install libminios from
>>> https://github.com/talex5/xen/releases/tag/minios-v0.1
>>> 2. Download and install openlibm from
>>> https://github.com/talex5/openlibm/releases/tag/v0.3.1-tal1
>>
>> A minor inconsistency I notice here:
>>
>> libminios installs into /usr/lib by default (following the Xen convention),
>> and openlibm installs into /usr/local/lib by default.  It would actually be
>> really convenient to install these into the ~/.opam space via an OPAM
>> package, rather than an external installation.

You can install libminios elsewhere with e.g.

  $ make install LIBDIR=/tmp/foo/lib INCLUDEDIR=/tmp/foo/include

Just remember to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to find it again:

  $ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/foo/lib/pkgconfig pkg-config --libs libminios
  -L/tmp/foo/usr/lib/pkgconfig/../../lib/mini-os -lminios -T
/tmp/foo/usr/lib/pkgconfig/../../lib/mini-os/libminios.lds -m
elf_x86_64 -lx86_64

(note: it does assume that LIBDIR and INCLUDEDIR have a common parent)

For openlibm, use:

  $ make install prefix=/tmp/foo

I guess someone with OPAM skills could do this pretty easily...

> Also, shouldn't libminios be something more descriptive like 'libxenminios'?
> This will help upstream packaging later on.

Yes, probably.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA