Re: [MirageOS-devel] Pre-built Xen images for Cubieboard/CubieTruck

On 20 Jul 2014, at 09:08, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've uploaded some pre-built images here:
>
> http://blobs.openmirage.org/cubieboard2-xen-iso.tar.bz2 (Cubieboard 2)
> http://blobs.openmirage.org/cubietruck-xen-iso.tar.bz2 (CubieTruck)
>
> (built from current https://github.com/mirage/xen-arm-builder)
>
> I'd be interested to hear from anyone with these devices whether they
> work for you. To test:
>
> 1. Download and unpack the image for your board.
>
> 2. Copy to the SDcard, e.g.
>    dd if=cubie.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
>
> 3. Boot the device. It should get an IP address by DHCP.

On MacOS X, the dd instructions are:

1. Find the disk device of the card you inserted
   sudo diskutil list
   (e.g. disk2)

2. unmount the disk images
   sudo diskutil unmountDIsk /dev/diskN

3. sudo dd if=cubie.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=64k

Without the 'rdisk' in the output file, the copying will be extremely slow
due to buffering.

> The devices announce a .local name using mDNS, so you should be able
> to ssh to $BOARD.local, e.g.
>
>  ssh mirage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> (password: mirage)
>
> You should now have a working Xen host ("xl list" to list current VMs,
> "lvcreate" to create guest disks).
>
> To install the ARM version of mirage:
>
> $ opam init
> $ wget
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-xen-minios/releases/download/v0.2/mirage-xen-minios-v0.2.tar.bz2
> $ tar xjf mirage-xen-minios-v0.2.tar.bz2
> $ cd mirage-xen-minios
> $ make
> $ opam pin mirage https://github.com/talex5/mirage.git#link_c_stubs
> $ opam pin mirage-xen https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform
> $ opam pin tcpip https://github.com/talex5/mirage-tcpip.git#checksum
> $ opam install mirage

Minor improvement now, since `mirage-xen-minios` has been integrated upstream
into OPAM.

$ opam install mirage-minios-xen
$ opam pin mirage https://github.com/talex5/mirage.git#link_c_stubs
$ opam pin mirage-xen https://github.com/mirage/mirage-platform
$ opam pin tcpip https://github.com/talex5/mirage-tcpip.git#checksum
$ opam install mirage

> You should now be able to follow the rest of the Mirage tutorial:
>
>  http://openmirage.org/wiki/hello-world
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. On my network, the mDNS name is only available briefly. I think my
> router may be blocking queries. If so, you might want to assign a
> fixed IP address soon after connecting.
>
> 2. If you try to build a unikernel with an HTTP server, it may
> complain that it can't link -lssl (and other libraries). For now, you
> can edit the Makefile to remove the extra libraries.

This was due to an incorrect Unix dependency sneaking into Cohttp_lwt.
I've put a candidate fix in:
   https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cohttp/pull/152

cheers,
Anil