Re: [MirageOS-devel] mirage os on cubietruck nand detection

On 3 Aug 2014, at 16:34, Gilles DALMAS <gdalmas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi,

I recently compiled mirage for cubietruck.

Everything works fine, but the system is extremely slow.

Hi Gilles,

Glad to hear you've got it up and running. Could you shed some light about the nature of the application that is slow?

If it's networking, there's a known bug at the moment [1] due to a limitation on Xen 4.4/ARM that prevents multiple mapping of pages.   Thomas Leonard has just applied a backport to the SDCard image builder [2] that fixes this issue in Xen itself, so we could remove the workaround now and hopefully get back to decent networking performance (is this correct, Thomas?  I haven't had a chance to rebuild my own Cubie2 yet).

Initially, I had put others options in the kernel because I wanted the system can manage RAID systems.

Incidentally, if there are useful kernel options in the SDcard image that don't conflict with others, then please do feel free to tweak the kernel config and submit them as a pull request to the Xen ARM builder: https://github.com/mirage/xen-arm-builder

I'm just automating the rebuilding of the SDcard images, so this will help keep a "known good Xen/ARM/Mirage" software configuration in one place.

 Then given the very slow speed of mirage, I tried to only necessary options to operate xen, but the system was still very slow.

I then added a swap partition, which is not mentioned in the wiki. There, the system became a bit faster but it is still very inssuffisant.

I'm still a little unclear on what is slow -- is it your Linux dom0, or a Mirage app, or both?

I thought that to install directly on the nand could improve things, but mirage does not seem to recognize the nand. There are currently no nand in the mnt directory ... is this a bug or an oversight on my leaving?

I'm not sure if NAND support has been upstreamed yet into Linux.  It shouldn't affect your system performance very much though.