Re: [MirageOS-devel] Xen-arm-builder changes

On 11 August 2014 11:41, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2014, at 10:36, Magnus Skjegstad <magnus@xxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have updated xen-arm-builder to support installing driver firmware on
>> the disk image by adding a FIRMWARE ?= in Makefile and cloning
>> linux-firmware. I have also enabled support for two wireless adapters
>> and Cubieboard LEDs in the kernel. I have also set noatime,nodiratime in
>> fstab to speed up disk access.
>>
>> The firmware-change is also documented in the README.md.
>>
>> I don't know if you want to merge any of these changes back to the main
>> repo?
>>
>> https://github.com/MagnusS/xen-arm-builder/commits/master
>
> CCing the devel list -- all of these look useful to me.  Should we also
> set the 'discard' option to enable TRIM on SSDs (or would this cause
> failures if the media doesn't support trimming?)
>
> Do send a pull request on the existing changes and I'll merge/rebuild.
>
> Incidentally, I added a Dockerfile to xen-arm-builder in order to make
> it quicker to fetch a working tree.  The limits of containers start
> showing up quite fast unfortunately, since the only way to mount a
> loopback device is to use Docker in 'privileged mode', which none of the
> public build services do.  Still, if anyone wants to play with it, you
> just:
>
> sudo docker.io pull avsm/xen-arm-builder
> sudo docker.io run -t avsm/xen-arm-builder bash
>
> Can't do much with it after that unless you're in a privileged local
> container (if anyone gets that to work, drop a note on this thread).

I've always been building it in a privileged docker container, since
I'm not running Ubuntu.

The command I use to enter my container is:

docker run -e "http_proxy=http://192.168.0.11:8123/"; --privileged -it
-v `pwd`:/xen-arm-builder --entrypoint /bin/bash -w /xen-arm-builder
xen-sdcard-builder

The proxy is to save redownloading all the debs each time.

To get ARM emulation support, I also have to run this inside the
container (affects the host too, I think):

/etc/init.d/binfmt-support start

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA