Re: [MirageOS-devel] TCP checksum offload with Xen

On 3 Sep 2014, at 10:59, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I'm not too worry about that, as we need to fix the error type definition
>>> at one point as well (and the FS module type)

>>> A possibility might be to define a record 'flag' with at least one field
>>> called "checksum". Not sure too much abstraction is a good thing here.
>
> Presumably that will break existing code when we add more flags. Is that OK?

Yeah, since the code will need to handle the new flag.

>> Agreed on both counts...
>
> OK, but in that case how do we upgrade to the V2 API?
>
> Currently, if you ask mirage for e.g. a "network" then you get a V1
> NETWORK. If V2 extends V1 then it can just give you a V2 NETWORK and
> everything still works, which was the path I took for testing the
> checksums. But if they're not compatible (and I agree they shouldn't
> need to be) then more things will have to change.
>
> How will I ask mirage for a V1 vs V2 NETWORK? Like this?
>
> let main = foreign "Unikernel.Main" (console2 @-> network2 @-> job)

Yeah, we need to explicitly split the EDSL to support the new versions.
This shouldn't be hard -- we can make the default 'console' and other
values of 'a typ be for V2, and include a Mirage.V1 module that exposes
the old versions.