Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage budget development platform

On 12 Sep 2014, at 12:40, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2014, at 00:03, Stephen Mack <smack815@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> First I want to say that I feel like I am spamming the Mirage forum with
>> question and not providing any meaningful advancement to the project (yet).
>> I hope as my knowledge of Mirage grows these noobie emails will become fewer.
>
> no problem!  questions are good :)

Indeed!

>> With that I bet the best development platform for Mirage would be some Apple
>> system and a Cubietrunk board.  But that layout has a minimum price tag of
>> about $1,300 to $1,500 US dollars.  As a budget beginner I have been looking
>> at other options.
>
> fwiw i'd be interested in a discussion of good (portable) mirage development
> platforms generally. what do people use?  i'm on a macbook with
> virtualbox/xen/ubuntu for occasional linux testing but i doubt that's the
> ideal...

I'd suggest an even simpler mode -- just use the $50 Cubieboard2 (or
Cubietrick) directly as the development environment.

We already use a Ubuntu dom0, and so it should just be a matter of Linux kernel
configuration to get a desktop up and running from the HDMI port.  It would
also be *extremely* convenient to be able to do Mirage presentations without
having a Mac, by plugging a mouse and projector into the Cubieboard directly :-)