Re: [MirageOS-devel] Passing tap devices to the main module

On 10/05/2014 03:03 PM, Mindy wrote:

On 10/05/2014 11:57 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
I was wondering how to solve this more generally (for instance, via an ARM-style device tree). Does the solution below of picking monotonic network device numbers work on cloud providers?

Amazon still seems to only provide one VIF, so maybe this isn't a real issue. It'll come up quite quickly on ARM when we are bridging internal/external networks though, so it would be good to figure out a solution..
Excellent question. It apparently doesn't work on EC2, which does allow you to give an instance >1 VIF if you futz around in the console a bit. Even though the second interface is listed as "device index" 1, versus "device index" 0 for the interface created automatically for the interface, attempting to get information for the second netif fails silently and information for the first is used instead (not great).

All that stuff I just said is only true if both VIFs aren't attached (i.e. assigned to the interface in the Amazon console) at boot time; otherwise it appears to work OK (the VM boots and does DHCP for two distinct and correct MAC addresses representing the VIFs Amazon provides).

-Mindy