Re: [MirageOS-devel] Tracing and profiling blog post

On 30 Oct 2014, at 14:30, Len Maxwell <len@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Here's what I have so far:
>>
>> https://github.com/talex5/mirage-profile/blob/new-api/lib/trace_stubs.mli
>> https://github.com/talex5/mirage-profile/blob/new-api/lib/counter.mli
>>
>> There's not much here, but it would be good to keep this API stable as
>> pretty much all mirage libraries will be using it.
>>
>> The API for controlling the tracing, dumping out events, etc is much
>> less critical and can be changed later, as it only matters to the
>> developer profiling their unikernel.
>>
>> Comments welcome!
>
> Nice blog post; it was interesting to see some of the earlier
> performance puzzles re-examined with your new tools.
>
> Recently I found the Google trace-viewer [1] tool; it was built to
> analyze performance issues in Chrome [2], is now being used for
> Android, and the Go language may adopt it as well [3].  I think it
> would be worthwhile to a) review their event types and JSON format [4]
> for inspiration, and b) consider trace-viewer as an alternative viewer
> for some use cases.
>
> As an experiment, I manually instrumented mirage-www with trace-viewer
> JSON output, and the result is here [5].  Download that file, open
> about://tracing in Chrome, then Load the .trace file.  (Failing that,
> you can get the trace-viewer source [1] and run the dev_server, or
> view the self-contained HTML/JS version [6]).  Press '?' for help.

> The trace shows a browser loading the mirage-www home page, from the
> server's point-of-view.  At the top are some GC counters, captured
> once per second; the (hard-to-see) vertical green lines represent Gc
> alarm callbacks.  Below that are all of the HTTP requests and related
> FS calls, organized by HTTP connection -- in the Cohttp callback, I
> store the conn_id in a thread-local, and use that as a "thread ID"
> when recording events.
>
> Overall you should see that the browser used 6 concurrent connections
> to load all of the resources on the home page, and that generating
> index.html requires reading a lot of files.  It would be nice if I
> could look deeper into Cohttp and FS with mirage-profile, but use
> trace-viewer as the presentation format.  (So far I am using just a
> few features of the trace output, there are other examples in the
> test_data folder of [1]).
>
> To be clear, I don't think that trace-viewer could present low-level
> Lwt scheduling as well as mirage-trace-viewer does.  However, it could
> be useful for viewing a unikernel's behavior from other perspectives.

I didn't even know of the existence of this tool, so the trace format
looks useful even if the Chrome tool itself doesn't quite match.  The
HN thread mentioned the LTTng, which doesn't look quite as well used
as this (which is used for actual profiling in Android and Chrome, by
the looks of it).