Re: [MirageOS-devel] cubieboard2/truck users and opam 1.2

On 3 Nov 2014, at 09:12, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 November 2014 00:02, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That should work, but it's always better to grab the binary compiled on the
>> target distro if at all possible.  The PPA remote will also give you all the
>> other binaries (like opam-admin) which aren't essential for basic usage, but
>> will get pretty confusing if you try to use an older opam-admin in the
>> future.
>
> By the way, it would be slightly more convenient for 0install too if
> these were sub-commands ("opam installer" vs "opam-installer"), since
> "0install add" has the user provide the top-level command name. This
> is for security reasons, so that packages can't add commands to the
> user's PATH without an explicit request from the user.

Doesn't git have problems with 0install as well then?  The extension
mechanism is the same -- multiple binaries with <base>-<extension> that
are looked up by the <base> command in the path.

Munging all the commands into the mainline binary will eventually break
something that can't be linked, such as the opam-installext shell script.

> I'll try to get the OPAM 0install binaries updated to 1.2 from
> 1.2-beta4 soon too.

Great!

-anil