Re: [MirageOS-devel] Struggling a bit with the Hello World applications

On 17 Sep 2014, at 09:33, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 May 2014, at 12:01, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Thanks for confirming it works (phew).  This does touch on the important
>>> point of us distributed tested Vagrant boxes.
>>>
>>> I just signed up for the Vagrant cloud that's in beta at the moment, and
>>> will look into publishing an OPAM-friendly image with all the bits'n'bobs
>>> installed.
>>
>> I’ve hit this problem a few times myself. I’m also not happy with the
>> provenance of the vagrant boxes I’m currently using: I really want something
>> which can be built reproducibly from trusted pieces. Hosting my own box is
>> also a bit of a pain since they often are 500MiB-1GiB. (I believe the
>> vagrant cloud will host a link but not the artefact itself?)
>>
>> So I started with Mort’s mirage-vagrant-vms repo and switched from veewee to
>> packer[1][2]. I found packer to be easier to install than veewee but
>> otherwise much the same. My box development cycle is now:
>>
>> packer build template.json
>> vagrant box remove foo
>> vagrant box add new.box —name foo
>>
>> My goal is to build all my boxes from:
>> 1. the definitions (the .json plus scripts) stored in .git
>> 2. the distro install CD (cached, with md5 checked)
>> 3. (hopefully small) repo of binary packages hosted by people I trust (e.g.
>> me). Hopefully this is <100MiB and therefore easier to host somewhere
>>
>> [1] http://packer.io/
>> [2] https://github.com/djs55/mirage-vagrant-vms/tree/packer
>

> Could you send a pull request for this to reconcile it with
> mirage/mirage-vagrant-vms?
>
> Now that we have blobs.openmirage.org, I'd like to start building these
> regularly too.

Nik Sultana did a great job on this; I've just merged in his pull request that
refreshes your Packer-based Vagrant:
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-vagrant-vms/pull/4

Just built it on my Mac and it works fine.  The only possible hitch is that the
version of Xen and the toolstack installed are very old (Xen 4.1 and XM), so
pull requests to update to Debian Jessie would be welcome.  In the meanwhile
though, it's good enough for development!

Once David Sheets' GitHub hook code is done, I'll set this to autobuild on the
increasingly loaded blobs.openmirage.org as well (it's a bit too heavyweight to
run on cron).