Re: [MirageOS-devel] Merging XenStore+MAC

HI,

> On 9 Nov 2014, at 22:26, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 31 Oct 2014, at 19:24, James Bielman <jamesjb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On 09/09/2014 08:07 AM, David Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM, James Bielman <jamesjb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> After some time looking at the Irmin-based Xenstore, I have a few questions:
>>>
>>> - Is the repository at https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-xenstore-server the
>>> one I should be tracking, or is there a development repository?
>>>
>>> Yes, that's the latest one. Note it's not in a fully working state-- when
>>> integrating irmin I unhooked a bunch of stuff so that I could refactor the
>>> core more quickly. The following features are (temporarily) unhooked:
>>>
>>> - interdomain rings (unix domain socket still works)
>>> - ACLs
>>> - watches
>>> - Xen kernel build
>>>
>>> Now that the irmin core is working it's probably time to start re-adding
>>> these.
>>>
>>> If you had complete freedom, what would your ideal interface be?
>>>

>> I've been looking at this merge again this week and wondering if there are
>> any updates on getting the XenStore security features hooked up in this
>> repository.  I'd really like to get the MAC patches into shape to be
>> considered for merging as soon as possible into whichever Mirage-based
>> XenStore will likely be used by the community going forward.
>>
>> As for the interface, I have a first pass at something in this forked
>> repository:
>>
>>   https://github.com/GaloisInc/ocaml-xenstore-server
>>
>> Specifically, the 'server/security.mli' module.
>>
>> This isn't final yet, and the rest of the changes are pretty incomplete, but
>> the general idea is to add another module parameter for a security interface
>> (at least for MAC, maybe use it for the DAC as well?).  I'd certainly
>> appreciate any feedback you have on this design.
>
> Thanks for this, James.  Any chance you could open up a pull request against
> mirage/ocaml-xenstore-server?  That marks it as an open patch so we don't
> have to go fork hunting.

A pull request would indeed be helpful! I had a quick read through of the
security.mli and it looks reasonable to me (although Iâm not a security
expert). Merging it in sooner rather than later sounds like a good idea to me.

My next xenstore-related task is to enhance the APIs of the shared-memory-ring
module to better support restarting after a crash. Once Iâve done that Iâll try
to tidy up the core which is still half-way through being converted to Irmin.
Once both of those tasks are completed the core should start looking pretty
simple â itâll only have the xenstore-specific stuff in it which should make it
easier to read.

Cheers,
Dave