Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan hackers wanted for mirage-entropy

> On 21 Nov 2014, at 10:39, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 21 Nov 2014, at 10:30, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> While this is better than the current implementation (which uses
>> OCaml's Random, which on Xen is seeded very deterministic if I
>> understand that code correctly
>> https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/638a953bcf61678307fa5d0e1a969aaaf3f1ab20/byterun/sys.c#L364),
>> it is too easy to get it wrong (running the same unikernel image
>> several times with the same seed) that I don't feel comfortable to
>> ship mirage(-tls) with that.
>
> Bear in mind that we need some sort of a non-vchan solution for
> existing VMs even when the vchan solution does work, to cope with
> existing cloud providers.
>
> We just need to augment the one-time-pad here with some more
> Xen-specific environmental sources.  There may be some inspiration
> here:
>
> http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2014/papers/Not-So-RandomNumbersinVirtualizedLinuxandtheWhirlwindRNG.pdf
>
> Another alternative we could do in the short-term is just to pass
> the 16 bytes-every-10-minutes directly via Xenstore instead of a
> full-blown Vchan.  This would just require a daemon in dom0 to be
> run that does this.

Since it needs tidying up anyway, Iâll take a look at the xenstore client code
today and try to make it as easy as possible to write code like this. The
internal details of the @introduceDomain watch are a bit ugly but hopefully I
can hide them away.

Cheers,
Dave