Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin roadmap

Hi,

I've spent the last week working on the new version of Irmin. This is still not
finished but it is making good progress. A preliminary ocamldoc page is
available online[1]. It is not complete and polished yet, but most parts are
documented.

The main changes are:

- Improve compile time and portability: no more core_kernel and camlp4, now use
nocrypto and mirage-tc

- No more -pack. All the internal modules are prefixed by Ir_ and are not
available to the users (the cmi are not installed) and the public module (with
the public documentation) is Irmin

- All the operations in a store now take a **mandatory** `origin` argument,
even the read operation [2] (before, only the merge operations where requiring
it). The origin contains the process/user name, the date, some (maybe
structured) message, ... (this can be configured by the user). That origin
value comes from the high-level call ("I want to add that value to my Irmin
store") and are passed through all the low-level calls ("I need to create a new
block in the block store, I need to update the head tag to point to the new
head, etc) so you can very easily track every read and write operations in your
store. My hope is that we can use that origin value to control the store
encryption: you can store some keys in the origin and use them to encrypt on
write and decrypt on read. Need more though on that, but I think we have
everything needed now.

- The high-level "branch-consistant" signature is simpler [3]. The internals of
the contents, node, commit and tag stores are not exposed anymore.

- The synchronisation functions are much more efficient and looks quite similar
to what Git does, although we don't compress the data (yet) (but the slice[4]
type is abstract, so we could do that later if needed, this involves tweaking
[5]).

What needs to be done: porting the backends, the http server and checking that
everything still works fine. Hopefully this will be done early next week.

Best,
Thomas

[1]: http://samoht.github.io/irmin/
[2]: http://samoht.github.io/irmin/Irmin.Store.RO.html