Re: [MirageOS-devel] Parallelizing writing to network devices

On 28 Nov 2014, at 11:38, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As an aside, Iâm in the middle of functorising the ring code to make it more
> like Vchan. In particular youâll be able to instantiate the functor with any
> suitable memory sharing and event signalling primitives. This means weâll be
> able to run the code in several different environments
>
> - in-process where memory sharing is trivial and event signalling uses
> Lwt_condition.t. This is good for unit-tests
> - cross-process under Unix where memory sharing is via something like
> /dev/shm and signalling via eventfd or pipes? (Suggestions welcome)

I'd suggest starting off with core POSIX interfaces such as a pipe for
synchronisation and Bigarray.map_file for shared memory.

Eventfd and /dev/shm are Linux-isms that we can add later by cherry picking
ring APIs from the IPC bench repository: https://github.com/avsm/ipc-bench.
There are blindingly fast protocols in there if spinning is an option, for
example.

> - as a Xen backend/frontend under Linux where memory sharing is via
> gntdev/gntshr and events are via /dev/xen/evtchn
> - under Xen as normal
>
> I really want to be able to run 2 utop shells, #require the code, instantiate
> the functor for Unix and have Xen netfront/netback between regular processes
> under OS X.

All those words sound good to me :)

Anil