Re: [MirageOS-devel] command line arguments for unikernels

On 28 Nov 2014, at 16:15, Nicolas Ojeda Bar <no263@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I can't quite follow the whole thread quoted above, but the approach I was
suggesting during a recent call seems relevant:

From http://openmirage.org/wiki/weekly-2014-11-12:

>  Library request! ThomasG and Anil have built ez versions of Daniel Bunzli's
> libs, such as ezxmlm andezjsonm, which are less flexible but provide more
> convenient functions. They'd like to have an ezcmdliner, which takes notions
> of terms and does unix.get-env. It would let them replace adhoc environment
> parsing in configuration and let them assemble an environment. One of the
> interpretations would be a dialog-based interface and could do bash-shell
> completion. This way, mirage configure can drop you into a UI to select the
> things you wanted. It should be a simple library and only a couple of days
> work as it's just a front end to cmdliner itself. After some discussion, it
> seems that Dave might have pieces of this so he'll dig it out and have a look
> but others are very welcome to dive in.

The idea is to provide a layer above cmdliner that declaratively specifies
the set of command-line inputs you need.  This would then be interpreted by
various backends to provide:

- a unix command line that looks up Terms from getenv, a config file or command
line option
- a xen equivalent that would use xenstore.
- javascript could similarly be parameterised via an interactive ui
- support more exotic interpretations such as bash/zsh command line completion
and using the `dialog` shell tool to show textual dialogs (as Debian or FreeBSD
do with package selection)

One key design decision is how to represent the various Terms.  Cmdliner is
currently a flat list of options, but it's often much more natural to represent
configuration as a tree of values instead.

I'm not sure how to resolve this aspect of things.  It would be easy to build
the config terms as a tree, and then map those onto the relevant backends:

- a filesystem mapping instead of a config file (e.g. a directory hierarchy
where you just create small files and values)
- xenstore is already a tree
- for the command-line, you'd need to flatten these, perhaps into subcommand
groupings (which cmdliner already supports).

Note that OS.Env in mirage-platform already gives a string configuration
variable. (from argv for unix, and from start_info for xenstore).