Re: [MirageOS-devel] command line arguments for unikernels

Le lundi, 1 dÃcembre 2014 Ã 15:05, Thomas Gazagnaire a Ãcrit :

> > One can of course, make the names unique by combining the name of the
> > parameter with the name of the CONFIGURABLE (currently
> > semi-algorithmically generated to keep them unique), but this does not
> > seem very user friendly.
>
> Maybe expose a ?name paramater to all the combinators which will be prefixed
> to parameter arguments if needed.

I'm not sure that's the problem. If I understood well it seems that functor
application does generate new configuration values.

Of course if they are meant to be shared among instances it means that you are
declaring them at the wrong place. Best would be to define a module with
"standard" configuration keys (e.g. ip address) to be used to be used
throughout the system and telling users to first try to use the standard
configuration keys before trying to define new ones.

Now the question and problem remains whether there would be the need for per
module instanciation configuration keys. In that case it seems that what Thomas
is proposing is the good answer, the module parameter should then provide a
`val name : string` in the signature that you thread in the resulting module
using that `?name` parameter when it creates its own keys.

Best,

Daniel

P.S. It would be nice to provide more specific links when you ask for feedback,
of interest here would be the API and the way it gets used in the code.