[MirageOS-devel] MacOS X vmnet support

  • To: mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 21:06:07 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 21:06:17 +0000

Hi,

One annoyance to using Mirage on MacOS X has always been the lack of network
bridging, which means that the network stack couldn't communicate with the
outside world.

In Yosemite, a mysterious `vmnet` framework appeared that does support
bridging, and so I've created an alternative to the tuntap module which works
great.  Using it, I can easily spawn network applications that can make
external Internet queries using the OCaml network stack from Unix.

I could use a sanity test from someone else running Yosemite first before I
release this.  If you are on an older MacOS X, then you will need to pass
`--no-macosx` to the Mirage CLI to not use the new packages and use the old
tuntap module.

- `opam update` so you have the `vmnet` and `mirage-net-macos` packages (merged
upstream today)
- `opam pin add mirage git://github.com/mirage/mirage` to get the 2.0.2 working
tree.
- Try this mirage-skeleton example
https://github.com/mirage/mirage-skeleton/pull/58 (using `DHCP=1 mirage
configure`)