Re: [MirageOS-devel] Passing tap devices to the main module

On 6 Oct 2014, at 11:51, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2014, at 11:43, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On 5 Oct 2014, at 22:37, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Block devices have another Xenstore numbering scheme that seems far more
>>> Linux-specific (and afaict, one that only Dave and Mort understand :-)
>>
>> pshaw. it's in the code. plain for all to see. somewhere.
>> (just don't ask me to remember it... :)
>>
>> in a spirit of functorisation, it seems like one should be able to pass in a
>> function that would generate the next device id as part of the configuration
>> of a unikernel, rather than embedding it in some backend library (or even
>> frontend tool). or perhaps that's what providing a device tree would do?
>
> Yes, but what does 'next' mean here?  What happens if you have three devices
> simultaneously hotplugged?  They are mostly independent devices with the only
> connection being the unique identifier that Xenstore gives then (via the
> backend toolchain), so it seems odd that one device would be required to give
> the next one (which is potentially running in a completely separate domain)
> it's identifier.

hm-- yes.

tbh i think i had several misunderstandings, notably that i was assuming that
it was the guest's job to register an id for the device in xenstore (under a
domain prefix) when the device gets hot plugged into the guest, rather than
xenstore's job to give each device an id that's unique inside the guest.

--
Cheers,

R.

[ This address fails on Dec31. Use richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx subsequently. ]

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error,
please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy
or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may
still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are
advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of
Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.