Re: [MirageOS-devel] refactoring Xen drivers

On 3 Dec 2014, at 21:32, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Iâm planning on functorising shared-memory-ring over these signatures so
> weâll be able to run netback/netfront and blkback/blkfront between Unix
> processes (and test them more while weâre at it). The âmirageâ tool could
> generate the appropriate functor application depending on the target platform.
>
> Once weâve sorted out the ability to build C stubs for Mirage/Xen, then we
> can move the C stubs from mirage-platform to xen-{evtchn,gnt}.xen, which will
> make everything look a lot more normal.
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Dave

Full support from me.  This will have the remarkable effect of letting us
benchmark Xen device driver performance (from the perspective of ring
utilisation and so forth) from userspace in MacOS X, and even build
frontend/backend drivers without needing Xen.

At a quick glance, it should also be possible to build an XPC layer for MacOS X
sandboxing from your event signatures...