Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage tracing status

On 8 Dec 2014, at 10:48, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7 December 2014 at 22:01, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11 Nov 2014, at 15:56, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been making some updates to the mirage tracing support, which is now
>>> here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mirage/mirage-profile
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> If anyone has had any success using the tracing themselves (or got
>>> stuck), let me know!
>>>

>> I've got tracing output on my Mac now as well, in the form of a CTF file.
>>
>> What's the process of getting the HTML5 viewer working with the CTF
>> files?  It appears to be using the old marshalled format at the moment.
>
> I've just added CTF support, so it should work now.

Great! Trying it now.

> It still needs to be made easier though. Ideally, I think it should
> work something like this:
>
> dom0# mirage-trace-vewier dom:www --browser
> Open this page in your browser to see the trace:
> https://cubietruck.local/oovohchi6kio0G/index.html
>
> I'd like to unify the various tools for collecting and viewing traces.
> We have three input methods:
>
> - snapshot a Xen guest via shared memory
> - snapshot a Unix process via an mmapped file
> - load a saved .ctf trace file
>
> and three output methods:
>
> - run the GTK viewer
> - generate JavaScript to post on the web
> - save as .ctf
> - serve a web-page directly (not yet implemented)

Agreed.

> If I understand correctly, building GTK on OS X is difficult (though
> possible, since 0install uses it), so that needs to be optional.

Just gave this a try, and it's not too bad using Homebrew these days.

$ brew install gtk+
$ brew install cairo
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig
$ opam install lablgtk cairo

> Building support for reading from a Xen guest requires xenstore
> support, which is also difficult to build (requires Xen headers), so
> that needs to be optional too.

Dave might comment on this -- you shouldn't need the Xen headers
to build a simple Xenstore client.  Maybe its the gnttab driver?

> It would also be good to be able to ship a binary of this. I might try
> something with Dynlink for GTK so it will still work on platforms
> without it (this is what 0install does).

Are any of the other CTF trace viewers actively developed these days?