[MirageOS-devel] httpd + FastCGI + PHP stack running on Xen, powered by a Rump Kernel-based Unikernel

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that we have a working httpd + FastCGI + PHP
stack running on Xen, powered by a Rump Kernel -based Unikernel:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.rumpkernel.user/709

Our setup works with no significant modifications to the existing PHP or
httpd codebases; I believe that this is one of the first examples of
Unikernels running existing software atop a cloud hypervisor.

It would be interesting to see this working with Mirage: A setup where
Mirage handles TCP/HTTP, offloading dynamic requests to the rump-php via
FastCGI as appropriate should be straightforward.

If anyone wants to have a go at getting this working, I'm happy to help.

In future I'd also like to look at implementing the Conduit protocol for
Rump Kernels. We already have a similar concept (sockin) used to integrate
with host networking when running in POSIX userspace. Such a setup would
mean rump-php (or any other application stack) could be hosted behind
synjitsu.

Martin