Re: [MirageOS-devel] Remove DEVICE.connect?

>> Can you still easily compose devices together if you don't have a way to
>> connect? Who will be responsible for calling the implementation-dependant
>> connect function? Only the mirage tool in main.ml? (I guess that's already
>> the case)
>
> Yes, code that wants to call connect (such as the generated main.ml)
> has to know the concrete module type. But this is already the case,
> because the "id" types are all abstract in V1_LWT.

indeed, the mirage tool already has to deal with id of various types, so the
changes you are proposing should be fine (and saner).

> It will also mean we can use other signatures for connect (e.g.
> allowing multiple arguments or optional arguments) if needed.

That's indeed a good argument. If we don't expose the connect fonction, we can
use more complex function creators when needed - that's good (and we already
kind of quite do that, for instance to init the http stack where we need to
construct callbacks in main.ml)