Re: [MirageOS-devel] Error handling in Mirage - request for comments!

Le mercredi, 4 fÃvrier 2015 Ã 00:30, Christophe Troestler a Ãcrit :
> Regardless of the final scheme adopted for error handling, it seems
> that a type such as Result.t is important to share among libraries.
> Since depending on Core_kernel will stir debate, why not release an
> OPAM package "result" declaring Result.t together with a few useful
> functions (including monadic combinators) and ask Jane Street if they
> would agree that Core_kernel reexports it in order to be compatible?
> I know that one could dispense with that using polymorphic variants
> but, apart from the better efficiency, I think the slightly stricter
> type checking would also be beneficial.
>
> What do you think?
I'm not sure that's very useful since often you will want to work with this
type over a monadic concurrency library and/or provide combinators that
interact with a logging library (e.g. see the assemblage combinators I linked
to earlier). It seems to me there will be very little left and loose coupling
between packages seems fine to me in that case. I rather think that mirage
itself should define a library with all the good tools to enforce its chosen
error handling scheme.

Best,

Daniel