Re: [MirageOS-devel] Error handling in Mirage - request for comments!

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 00:53:07 +0100, Daniel BÃnzli wrote:

> Le mercredi, 4 fÃvrier 2015 Ã 00:30, Christophe Troestler a Ãcrit :
> > [â} OPAM package "result" declaring Result.t together with a few useful
> > functions [â]
>
> I'm not sure that's very useful since often you will want to work
> with this type over a monadic concurrency library and/or provide
> combinators that interact with a logging library (e.g. see the
> assemblage combinators I linked to earlier).
>
> It seems to me there will be very little left and loose coupling
> between packages seems fine to me in that case. I rather think that
> mirage itself should define a library with all the good tools to
> enforce its chosen error handling scheme.

It seems to me that libraries that are not intended to be exclusively
used with mirage could use this to report error-values.  The functions
provided by the module âResultâ would be tailored to those who only
want to use it directly.  By providing a common representation, it
would be easy to use a library making use of Result.t in Mirage â
where there would be combinators (such as â>>=?â on âResult.t Lwt.tâ)
that could properly interact with a logging facility if desired.