Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin API newbie questions

Hi Thomas,

> (BTW, I think it might be useful to add the equivalent git command
> next to functions in the documentation, since most people will
> understand that already)

ack, I'll do this.

> The BASIC docs are missing
> (https://mirage.github.io/irmin/Irmin.BASIC.html), but the code shows:
>
>  type ('a, 'b) basic = (module BASIC with type key = 'a and type value = 'b)
>
> It seems that using Irmin.Contents.String gets me "key = string list",
> but "step" remains abstract. How do I use cons, decons, etc?

Why do you need to use cons and decons? Normally you should just need to use
the usual list operators (ie. (::) for cons and pattern-matching for decons).
If you have a use-case where this is not enough, please share it! It's possible
that I forgot to export a type constraint somewhere.

> If I have a RW store, I can watch a key:
>
>  val watch : t -> key -> value option Lwt_stream.t
>
> Presumably, I also need to take care to stop watching it when I'm
> done, otherwise the stream will grow without limit, right? I guess
> there should be an unwatch, or maybe this should be a React signal or
> something.

Yes the watch API still needs some work. It's working-ish enough to demo small
examples (for instance you can run some of the examples and connect to
http://127.0.0.1:8080/graph to see a nice animated graph of the store), but as
you noticed there is no GC of ressources, maybe some leaks and the behaviour
under load is not satisfactory (see issue
https://github.com/mirage/irmin/issues/124).

> I got a bit confused when I reached the BC page:
>
>  https://mirage.github.io/irmin/Irmin.BC.html
>
> It uses 'tag' to mean a pointer to a commit that is updates on each
> operation (i.e. what Git would call a 'branch'). I realise that tags
> and branches are the same thing internally, but 'branch' seems to
> capture better what Irmin is using them for ("The tag value is updated
> every time the store is updated, so every handle connected or which
> will be connected to the same tag will see the changes."). [ BTW,
> what's a "handle"? ]

The documentation is not totally clear here, you're right. You have two ways to
identify a branch: either by name or by hash. In Irmin terminology, a branch
name is a "tag". A commit hash is a "head".

> val update_tag : t -> tag -> unit Lwt.t
> update_tag t tag updates t's current branch with the contents of the
> branch named tag.
>
> What does "update" mean here? Is this "git reset --hard tag"? A merge?
> A "--ff-only" merge?

`update_tag` is similar to `git reset --hard <tag>`. merge_tag is similar to
`git merge <tag>`. I've tried to keep the update/merge duality in most of the
places (you can update/merge a head, a view, an other branch).

> My mental model of Git is that the store is a DAG and I can append to
> any branch. e.g. we have:
>
>   git commit-tree <tree> [(-p <parent>)...] < changelog
>
> If I'm understanding the Irmin API correctly, each "store"
> (repository? branch?) has a current "tag" (branch) and I need to set
> the tag I want to work on, e.g.
>
>  val switch : Store.t -> tag -> unit Lwt.t

The simplest way to initialise a branch using a tag is to use `Irmin.of_tag ...
<tag>`. If you want to create a branch in a "detached" mode, use `Irmin.of_head
... <head>`. But yes, you can use switch to switch to another named branch.

> If I want to work on another branch without changing the current
> branch for other users, I should "clone" the store:
>
>  val clone_force : ('a -> Irmin.task) -> t -> tag -> ('a -> t) Lwt.t
>
> But, this is not a "git clone", it's like "git branch tag" - a new
> branch I can work on without affecting the repository's default
> branch. It seems strange that Irmin has a mutable "current branch" at
> all - this seems like a UI concept that's only needed for command-line
> use (to save typing).

Irmin has a concept of default branch (ie. "master") which is used when you use
"Irmin.create".  I choose that because the simplest use-case is to use Irmin as
a normal k/v store, without having to worry about branches and such.

> A "head" is defined as "a given store revision" (i.e. what Git would
> call a commit). It wasn't clear to me at first whether a head was a
> commit or an anonymous branch. e.g.

A head is a commit hash. You can use a head with Irmin.of_head to create an
anonymous branch. I agree that the documentation is not very clear on that.

> val rename_tag : t -> tag -> [ `Duplicated_tag | `Ok ] Lwt.t
> Change the current tag name. Fail if a tag with the same name already
> exists. The head is unchanged.
>
> "The head is unchanged" suggests that heads might change in other
> cases. Looking at the code, I see a "type head = Commit.key" in one
> place, so I guess they're (usually?) commits. Does "head" here mean
> "the default branch"?

I'll make another pass on that part of the documentation to try to make all of
these concepts clearer. I'll try to relate the API functions to Git
command-line arguments, although I'm not sure the Git command-line is a model
of clarity as well: `git reset --hard` is very different from `git reset
--soft` for instance, and there are no direct notion on index file in Irmin
(although the views can be seen as a kind of staging area).

> Finally, how do I get history? e.g. if I want to show users the recent
> changes to a document. I see a "slice" type, but it's not clear what I
> can do with it.

Anil asked me the question recently, and I promise him to add the missing
function in the "simple" API. For now on, the functions are well-hidden inside
the private API: The History[1] functor gives you a "closure" function, which
gives you a slice of the history graph. The functor needs a contents store (if
S is of type Irmin.S, then S,Private.Contents) and a node store
(S.Private.Node). But that's far too hard to use, I'll add an helper function
in the API to get you a OCamlgraph graph of commits (and optionally tree and
blobs) instead.

Thanks for that very helpful report! I hope it makes things a little bit
clearer.

Thomas

[1] http://mirage.github.io/irmin/Irmin.Private.Commit.History.html