Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin API newbie questions

On 9 Feb 2015, at 14:41, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Finally, how do I get history? e.g. if I want to show users the recent
>> changes to a document. I see a "slice" type, but it's not clear what I
>> can do with it.
>
> Anil asked me the question recently, and I promise him to add the missing
> function in the "simple" API. For now on, the functions are well-hidden
> inside the private API: The History[1] functor gives you a "closure"
> function, which gives you a slice of the history graph. The functor needs a
> contents store (if S is of type Irmin.S, then S,Private.Contents) and a node
> store (S.Private.Node). But that's far too hard to use, I'll add an helper
> function in the API to get you a OCamlgraph graph of commits (and optionally
> tree and blobs) instead.

One layer that would be very useful over this commit graph is some notion of
diffs.  I'd quite like to be able to describe a data structure in terms of
patches, since that's quite often the reason why I'm traversing the history
in the first place.  If I just want to go back in time, I can stash relevant
points in a tag and never need to walk the commit history.