Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin and js_of_ocaml

> Is it possible to use Irmin under js_of_ocaml? I tried it, but I got
> this in the browser console at startup:
>
>  uncaught exception: 0,0,Failure,ml_z_init not implemented
>
> It looks like Irmin pulls in Nocrypto (and thus zarith) only for the
> SHA1.digest function. There are also lots of warnings about missing
> cstruct stubs.
>
> I was thinking of running Irmin in the browser with HTML 5 storage as
> a backend, but perhaps it would be easier to keep Irmin on the server.
> Any suggestions?

Basic stuff used to work in JS at one point, but not anymore: I'd be *very*
interested to get the support back in good shape though.

I think the shorter way is to forget about the Git format (at least for a first
step) and write a custom backend for local storage: a mix between
https://github.com/mirage/irmin/blob/master/lib/mem/irmin_mem.ml and
https://github.com/avsm/ocaml-js-localstorage/blob/master/lib/localStorage.ml.
You won't be able to sync using Git, but you can still use the custom Irmin
sync protocol.

Having a proper support for the Git format is a bit more involved: you indeed
need nocrypto (for SHA1) and camlzip (for zlib). But being able to Git
clone/push from your browser would be quite cool and crazy :-)

Thomas