Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin and js_of_ocaml

On 16 February 2015 at 15:47, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is it possible to use Irmin under js_of_ocaml? I tried it, but I got
>> this in the browser console at startup:
>>
>>  uncaught exception: 0,0,Failure,ml_z_init not implemented
>>
>> It looks like Irmin pulls in Nocrypto (and thus zarith) only for the
>> SHA1.digest function. There are also lots of warnings about missing
>> cstruct stubs.

if not, I guess one might make use of
http://code.google.com/p/crypto-js/ to provide the SHA1.digest
function...?

[ apologies if that's a repeat, sent from the wrong address previously. ]

>> I was thinking of running Irmin in the browser with HTML 5 storage as
>> a backend, but perhaps it would be easier to keep Irmin on the server.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Basic stuff used to work in JS at one point, but not anymore: I'd be *very*
> interested to get the support back in good shape though.
>
> I think the shorter way is to forget about the Git format (at least for a
> first step) and write a custom backend for local storage: a mix between
> https://github.com/mirage/irmin/blob/master/lib/mem/irmin_mem.ml and
> https://github.com/avsm/ocaml-js-localstorage/blob/master/lib/localStorage.ml.
>  You won't be able to sync using Git, but you can still use the custom Irmin
> sync protocol.
>
> Having a proper support for the Git format is a bit more involved: you indeed
> need nocrypto (for SHA1) and camlzip (for zlib). But being able to Git
> clone/push from your browser would be quite cool and crazy :-)

istr one of the notts programmers crowd was doing a javascript git
implementation; came across https://github.com/creationix/js-git after
a quick search...

--
Richard Mortier